Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Breast is Best

When I was offered to be part of the breastfeeding promotion team, I was thrilled. I grew up in a family where no infant formula was ever introduced. Both my parents strongly believe that breastmilk is best for baby. It was probably a challenge for my parents and especially my mum to exclusively breastfeed during the time when the norm in the society was to mix feeding a child with infant formula.

My siblings and I are lucky that my parents persist. Even until now, being grandparents, they ensure their children continue to do the same for their grandchildren.

When I entered medical school, I began to understand the reason why my parents strictly 'prohibited' infant formula in our household. Not a single infant formula can ever challenge the wonders of breastmilk.

And now that I am a mother myself, knowing all the facts, I tried my best to give my child what is best for him, including exclusive breastmilk. We all know that breastmilk is created in a way to suit every child's need. It is amazing to know that the content of breastmilk changes with the baby's age to accomadate for the baby's increasing demand. And of course we have heard about the protective effect of breastmilk against the many infections of childhood.

One of the amazing facts on breastmilk is not only the child will benefit from it, but the mother will too. It is a fact that breastfeeding can prevent breast cancer and certain ovarian cancers. It is also the fastest way for a mother to get back to her pre pregnancy weight.

For a muslim, breastfeeding is an act of faith. It is mentioned in the Holy Qur'an... "And the mothers should suckle their children for two whole years for him who desires to make complete the time of suckling..." Al- Baqarah :233" Surely what God created is best for us and our babies.

0 comments: